Connected Learning in 1C
Today the children from 1C and 1M became Inquirers and Thinkers for the day and participated in a range of scientific, mathematical and technological challenges, designed to get them all thinking! In mixed groups of six, the children had to solve five different ‘problems’ or tasks, based on our Learning Theme of “Fairy Tales”.
The Learning Questions we posed were:
- Can you design and make shoes big enough for the Giant from ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’?
- How strong can you build a bridge just from newspaper, for ‘The Billy Goats Gruff’?
- How many different potions can you make for ‘Sleeping Beauty’ from only five different ingredients?
- How high can you build a beanstalk using boxes and paper for Jack from ‘Jack and the Beanstalk’?
- Which is the strongest house from ‘The Three Little Pigs’ – the straw house, the stick house or the brick house?
In their groups, the children had to decide how they were going to approach each challenge, who was going to do what and how they would record their findings. The teachers were amazed at the ingenuity and perseverance of the children, with them all displaying many of the Learner Profile attributes such as Inquirers, Communicators, Risk Takers, Knowledgeable, Thinkers and Reflective. Everyone involved thought the morning was a huge success, with the children really learning about teamwork, problem solving and of course, which team’s bridge held the most weight!
------------ no comments -----------