Due Friday 14th January
This week in class we read the first chapter of "The Journey to the River Sea", by Eva Ibbotson. I think it is a wonderful novel, and I am going to be reading the rest over the next few weeks in class.
In your red homework book, complete one of the following tasks:
- Imagine what Maia must be thinking as she sets off on her journey to live in Brazil. Write a diary entry describing her thoughts.
- Use the internet to research the author and write down key information about her.
- Use the internet to research the town of Manaus (where Maia is going to meet the family) and write a fact file about it.
- Write a list of advantages and disadvantages of Maia leaving London to go and live in Brazil.
- Write a journal entry or description of Maia's journey to the Amazon.
- Imagine what Mr and Mrs Carter, Beatrice and Gwendolyn are like. Write paragraph describing them.
- Write a prediction of what you think Maia's life will be like in her new home - Will she get along with her new family? What will her house be like? Will she go to school every day?
For all of these tasks, the optional extra is to add an illustration.