Spelling - Helpful Hints
Dear 1S Parents,
If your child needs a little bit of extra help with the spellings that are brought home every week, have a look at the suggestions below.
To help your child with their spellings in Year 1,
here are a few helpful hints to make it easier for them:
* Try and practise a little bit everyday to keep it fresh in their minds. Don’t try to do it all in one day. Little and often is the key!
* When you get them to practise their spelling words make sure you mix up the order in which you do them. Make it into a fun game and talk about the ones they still need to practise so they know how to improve next time.
* If they have difficulty in spelling a certain word get them to ‘sound out’ the word into smaller parts, for example, c-l-o-ck, r-ai-n, s-t-r-ea-m, l-igh-t.
* Play a variety of different spelling/word games.
* A great computer game to play at home is www.phonicsplay.co.uk. It is split into phases and phase 2 is the easiest working up to phase 5 (the easier levels are still good practise and gives them confidence to begin with).
* Go through the previous week’s spellings, especially the ones that your child did not get right at school and talk to them about where they went wrong so that they can improve on this.
If you need anymore help please don’t hesitate to come in and talk to me.
------------ no comments -----------