A maths activity morning and visiting Year 2.
This week we have a fun maths activity morning . We revisted and brushed up some skills we had learned earlier in the year. The activities included:
- capacity and estimating containers of water using non standard units
- using bean bags and targets to subtract from 20 down to zero
- Place value games - Hundreds, tens and units
- number bonds to 10 - quick fire questions
- word problems using lots of maths vocabulary
- Bingo games adding one more and subtracting one
- i pad challenges using Sumo maths app
- various challenging maths games to play with a partner
As part of the transition to Year 2 1L have written questions for Year 2 and have been to visit class 2P to find answers to all the questions we had about life in Year 2 such as:
- Is it fun in year 2 ?
- Do you have homework in Year 2 ?
- What topics do you study in Year 2 ?
- Do you go on school trips in Year 2 ?
- What is your favourite thing about Year 2 ?
- Do you go swimming in Year 2 ?
- Which lessons do you like most in year 2 ?
Our Year 2 buddies were fantastic at answering all of our tricky questions and we all came away feeling reassured having had the chance to have a long chat about our move to Year 2 next year.
Science at the Circus
1L and 1C had an exciting science morning finding out about the forces at work in a Circus. We thought about pushes and pulls , twists and turns and all tried a variety of Circus related tasks to see which forces we were using.
Some of the activities we tried were:
- Human canons - that fired little people across the room.
- Jumping dog flickers - made from lollipops and elastic bands
Other activities included:
- Coin push and measure - investigating to see which coin went furthest.
- Cars down a ramp to see whether the slope and the angle of the ramp made a difference to see how far the car travelled.
- Experimenting with magnets, using various forces with plasticiene, colouring and making circus tents, experimenting with the marble run.
It was a really fun session where the children enjoyed learning about forces in action and discussed concepts such as gravity and friction!
1L's Class Party
The children from 1L celebrated in style at the weekend as they all met up at Kayne's house to swim, eat, and drink, play and jump on the bouncy castle. It was a wonderful afternoon of fun and everyone left with an exciting bag of treats too. It was good to remember our friend who will leave 1L for another school abroad and they were given a wonderful photo momento of their time in the class. Thank you to everyone for the fabulous organisation and gifts and especially to Penny and Viphop for being such generous hosts once again.