Although students may still be out on holiday, teachers have been in school for seminars and workshops to further their professional learning (CPL). Renowned educationalist Professor John Hattie was the surprise guest speaker on Monday, followed by well-known educator and author Tom Sherrington. In preparation for these two CPL days, teachers have been reading Sherrington’s book The Rosenshine Principles. “Tom Sherrington is a passionate 21st century educator and has really made an impact with us all, which I’m thrilled about,” said Head of School Matt Mills.
Some of the take aways during these two professional learning days have been:
- Let the students do more of the talking in the classroom
- Be mindful of turn-taking within the classroom setting
- Use Best practice to assess the learning in collaboration with teacher colleagues and teacher teams
- Share your out of the box ideas with your colleagues
- Consider what do you want each student to learn in one year? What will it look like?
- Keep asking yourself on a daily basis, what is the learning impact on this task or lesson?
These are just some of the topics under discussion as our teachers and leaders continue to look at the best ways to deliver quality learning to our students.