In their last term, Year 5 students had been exploring issues surrounding the environment. Below is an example of their thoughts and ideas on Bangkok’s eco-system.
Narida (Nia) Ekaraphanich, Varissa (Tinn) Asavathiratham and Garam (Momo) Lee, 5W
We asked, “How can we restore Bangkok’s ecosystem?” We are exploring this deeper by researching how people can help create green areas in Bangkok. We have come to you, for help.
Who Are We?
We are students from Bangkok Patana School, Year 5. We are dedicating this year to try and help our local community develop a greener environment. Now, in order to achieve this, we need your help. Our ecosystem is DYING and everybody should take part in saving the green spaces.
What does restoring greenery to spaces actually mean?
Restoring greenery means a lot of things; from reducing, reusing and recycling, to volunteering in community projects. We are just focusing on the basics, like simply picking plastic up off the beach during your summer holiday.
Why don’t people help? Are you trying to help? I hope you are, because Bangkok’s lungs are dying! There is only one cure to saving the city and that is YOU! Do you want to grow herbs but have no garden?
Well, read on to find out simple solutions to problems.
Problems and Solutions
- Discuss this as a family
- Join a community garden campaign or just simply create a sky garden on your balcony.
- Find old fabrics or T-shirts to sew your own DIY tote bags, that you can use when shopping.
Green spaces have a huge impact on the world’s environment. Without them, who knows what would happen! Bangkok has lost approximately 50 percent of its green spaces and about 80 percent of Bangkok is high in pollution. Bangkok makes and uses approximately 2,000 tons of plastic a day.
Rama IX Park and Bangkok Tree House are examples of green environments. Did you know that both of them are in the top five most green locations in Bangkok?
So you might be thinking, I can’t plant a whole park, I don’t even have enough money to buy bamboo straws. Well don’t worry, if you want to help the environment but it is just not practical, these small things you can do are easy, affordable and simple. What are the simple steps you can take to get green?
Things You Could Do
- Plant vegetables and flowers.
- You could eat fresh, organic fruits while building your green ecosystem!
- Buy more long-lasting things. It would save you the money of buying the things over and over again, while saving them from being disposed of over and over again.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle.
- Bike and walk more (drive less).
- Say no to plastic.
- Carry your own reusable water bottle.
- Reduce waste.
- Find ways to donate to environmental causes.
- Create your own things.
- Eat less meat.
- Use less paper and rubber.
To conclude, we hope you have learnt some interesting facts about our beautiful environment. We hope you have enjoyed our article and hopefully you will try some of our small steps too.